When it comes to online security, a strong password is essential. Strong passwords help protect your electronic accounts and keep your sensitive personal information safe. It may seem surprising in 2023 but people still frequently use simple, common passwords such as “12345678” or “Password.” Using easily hacked passwords, or passwords that are weak or have been used before, significantly increase the chances of data breaches, identity theft, and other threats. Fortunately, by using some simple tips, it is easy to create strong passwords that will better protect your data.
Tip 1 – Avoid recycling passwords. It is convenient to use the same password for multiple accounts. However, cybersecurity experts warn that reusing passwords can result in exponentially more damage if one of the accounts is hacked or compromised.
Tip 2 – Use creative, unusual password. Using information such as pets’ names or favorite sports teams is an easy way to remember passwords, it actually makes it easier for hackers to access your accounts. To increase the complexity of your password, try combining uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. For example, the simple password ‘happy678’ is made stronger by turning it into ‘H@ppY6&8.’
Some people are hesitant to use an individual, strong password for every online account they have – it can be a lot to remember. Fortunately, that is where a good password manager comes in. A password manager is a program that allows you to generate and store all your passwords in one safe location. Password managers use encryption to protect data so that only authorized users can access it. Most password managers support the use of biometrics to login instead of having to use a master password each time. There are several benefits to using a password manager:
• Password managers will create unique, complex passwords for you.
• Password managers allow you to manage all passwords from one location.
• Many password managers have a feature that allows you to auto-fill passwords or other recurring information.
• Password managers allows you to share select passwords with other people of your choosing.
• Password managers can be used across platforms, meaning they are just as easy to access on your computer as they are on your phone.
• Password managers allow for multi-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security.
Using strong passwords is a must to protect your sensitive, personal information. Using a password manager makes keeping your accounts secure a much easier task.